Monday, June 30, 2008

Annual Blood Sucker Visit

It's that time of the year again. No. It isn't Christmas. Is that too early?

Every year, my blood will sucked out by the blood suckers from the Tabung Darah Negara. Ok lar... It doesn't sound that bad. I been donating blood since college. The first time I did it was out of a curiosity and I took a bet. I survived and my friend puked.

Jokes aside; donating blood was the only "genuine" charitable thing that I can do besides giving money. With blood, it goes straight to the hospital and those in need. With money, everything is channel through, God knows, how many channels and processes. And then of course, money cannot buy blood; or the type of blood you want.

So that's me doing my annual bid last Saturday. I was so good that I didn't had a trace of alcohol in my body before the donation. It ran so smooth; it was probably the fastest blood-pumping donation I had!

The Blood Pumping Action

There were indeed a few surprises that I saw when I filled up the application form. First of all, the questionnaires were slightly updated and easy to understand. Now, people with tattoos and piercing are allowed to donate! For years, tattoos are a absolute NO-NO for donors. If you have ear piercing, you have to wait for a year before you can donate. NOW, any fresh tattoos or pierced individuals need only wait for 6 months. I think I should high time consider my ear piercing and tattoo too.

Nevertheless; with caution, the doctor did mentioned that they need to know where the tattoo or piercing is done. Hmmmm....sounds errrr? I dunno how to explain. But does it really matter where "it" is done? And yes, they were going to check it too! Sounds shady...

Ok, perhaps now that the Ministry of Health is not so tight-a** about rules on donating blood; but there are still certain rules we need to abide. Being healthy and fit is definitely a criteria. But being questioned about your sexual life is....... hmmmm again. I ain't no player but asking "that sensitive question" is a little "OTT". Shan't elaborate either.

Craps aside; blood donation is definitely the best possible thing a person can do. Our blood banks really runs low on blood everyday. A bag of blood could possibly save another stranger from perhaps dying.

Being a good samaritan in some way; goes a long way. So why don't visit the National Blood Bank. Plus I heard you get a free food. Was told that the Nasi Lemak they serve packs a good punch. When I donate at church; all I get is a bun, milo and biscuits. Boohoohooo....

No comments: