">
In a sudden splurge of inspiration and influence by Mr. Malique on his “Vespa” music video; I decided that I should post mine too.
Believe it or not; I actually did a very amateurish music video about 5 years ago for a local English Rock band, Qings & Kueens. It was for their first official single (We’re Gonna Rock You!) from their EP album of the same title. Huge risk? Yes….. (sweat flowing out from head)
Till today, I often wondered why they asked me to do it. Giving me my break?
There is a small little story behind this production of this video. I still remembered I was on a “job-hunting” break (3 months to be exact) and I had loads of time to kill. When I mean loads; I really, really meant it. There wasn’t a time in my life that I really felt like a lazy bum and not doing anything but eat, sleep and sh*t.
Then along came Jerry, a church friend and drummer of the band asking me whether I am interested to do some “video” project for his band. With so much time to kill; I agreed almost instantly. The only problem was the costing and the resources that I have. I literally did the whole thing for free. Yes, I didn’t get a single cent out from it.
I met with the band members who consist of Vima, Paul, Kevin and Jerry. With all the brainstorming we had over at A&W Asia Jaya on that faithful night; I finally said,
“Look guys. I may have the skills to do all these but I do not have all the resources (hi-tech equipments) I need. If you want to take a risk, I suggest that perhaps we do this “indie” style and very experimental. That includes the outcome and direction of the video will be totally my call”
Believe it or not, the whole thing is REALLY experimental. Instead of having a proper shooting location; we only have the place (studio) where the band members usually practice. Instead of hi-tech studio lighting, I only had a fluorescent light tube. And instead of a camcorder; I used my own digital camera. Yup, you read it correctly. D-I-G-I-T-A-L C-A-M-E-R-A. And mind you, five years ago, digicams are still quite new in the market and every video recording has its limits. I was only able to record a total of 30 seconds at one time with NO sound! How scary is that?!
And if you think the stress level for this is high, I was told that they want to include the music video in the EP album as part of their interactive feature! I totally soaked my pants!
Nevertheless, I still did it and shat my pants during the post production period.
And finally, the outcome of the video is what you see above. It doesn’t seem bad and I was actually proud of my creation. Never in a million years that I would actually produce a music video. Really…..never had cross my mind.
Well, as far as the story goes, the video can be viewed only if someone purchased the album. I do not know how many people have seen it; until now that I finally decided to post it up.
By the way, the band did make a name for themselves in the local industry; so much so that the song when No.1 for 3 weeks in the Hitz.FM Local charts! Wow!.....I honestly didn’t see that coming either.
For more info of Qings & Kueens, you can visit their website at http://www.qingsandkueens.com/ and you can even download their hit single “We’re Gonna Rock You” for free!
By the way, to give credentials to the band, the video is partially owned by them and their record label.
Now, if you asked me whether I be repeating my feat again; I would probably say…..maybe. After five years, I never did any video production since that video. I probably have forgotten how to use video editing tools.
Who knows? Perhaps one day….
Monday, August 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment