Saturday, April 07, 2007

The Return of The Disco Queen

I have gone….*ok…c’mon…sing with me*….D.I.S.C.O….~!

Funny as it seems as I wasn’t born into the 70’s era but I have a certain fondness to disco music. It was definitely my mom’s period, judging from her old photographs with the Fawcett’s hair look, platform shoes, bell bottoms, disco dresses with tresses, etc.etc. A decade later when I was born, I had my fair share of the 80’s and grew with the 90’s music scene. And yes, my puberty hit around the same time boy bands and girl bands are emerging as the “power” singing sensations; namely the Spice Girls and Backstreet Boys. Although it didn’t leave a dramatic impact on me.

I particularly love the 70’s & 80’s music scene. I love disco music & and I am not ashamed to say so. ABBA, Donna Summers & Diana Ross were my favourites. You wouldn’t believe how many ABBA music videos that I have watched at YouTube. Yeah! Mirror balls and space inspired outfits were the thing! Check out the “Dancing Queen” Video and be blown away.

I love the 80’s more was because of the music videos and the cheesinest of the song lyrics. Boy George and the Culture Club have seen better days. Adam & The Ants were high on their fashion sense but musically, they weren’t the best.

Nothing can come close to Madonna. She left an impact on me during her Blonde Ambition Period. Hint : The Cone Shape Bras were a thing you can never forget . Then after a long absence she returned as Evita, an enlightened new mother, a disco cowgirl, a rebel and now a Disco Diva.

I manage to get my hands on an ORIGINAL copy of The Confessions Tour DVD the other day and I was thrilled! I remembered I went searching high and low for the Downed World Tour DVD. I even went to the extreme by placing an advance order for the Re-Invention Tour DVD. So you know how HAPPY I was when I found the latest tour “so easily”. Anyways, the concert (filmed in Wembley Arena, London) was nothing short of excitement and it was incredible. The sets were huge and the dance performances are fiercer than ever. The DVD came with a CD with live recording performances from the show. The song selection in the CD wasn’t that good. I wish they would have inserted at least 2 ballads from the show, namely Drowned World/Substitute for Love and Paradise (not for me). She sang these 2 songs in her Drowned World Tour but in this tour, it was even better! I even had a twitch in my chest hearing the lyrics to the song. Madonna has really grown and she sings passionately about her life and her messages are meaningful. As to other performances, She did the Disco thing, and I must say – she is the ONLY one that could pull off such a stunt. Imagine she sang “Music” in a John Travolta’s Saturday Night Fever outfit. Groovy is the word!

Back into Group Fitness classes, I was getting the hang of the new Release of Body Pump. I added more weights to my routine as I got more comfortable with the techniques and songs. By far, they were my heaviest. I must say that I am impressed and proud. I just imagine that I was carrying the heavy rods/bars that were available in LM NZ. I still need to control my bar though cause after the squat tracks, I bent the bar! Well, that’s what you get from those 1 kg bars.

I still love the new RPM release although we have already started to mix the songs. The only thing I loath is the bikes at 1U is still in their shitty state. I need to file an official complaint on the bike maintenance. Although I know how to control my pedaling, it will still pose a danger to me and fellow cyclist. Gosh, I wonder what’s next. I have yet to try the bikes at Bangsar. I had a peep at them the other day. So glistening new!....and I almost shed a tear of “happiness”?….. *sigh*…..I hope they are taken proper care.

No comments: