Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Courteous Malaysia?

Oh Malaysia. My beautiful homeland. A shopping paradise. A food haven.

But let's be honest. Our budi bahasa is near zero. This is not an intentional jeer, but its sad to know that our rakyat's manners are below par. We might be constantly making jokes about our manners but I feel sometimes, there is a limit to everthing.

A foreign friend of mine once commented that the driving conditions in our country is like "a war that broke loose". No drivers give way, cutting lanes without signals, speeding like a Road Runner high on caffine are just some of the things commented.

Then when it comes to shopping, some sales assistants were wonderful and some were just ought to be shot. I couldn't agree more. When I was on Holiday in Sabah, the sales staff at shopping malls were so incredibly polite and courteous. But when I was back in KL, they give us a "if you don't wanna buy, don't come and bother me" attitude.

Remember in my last blog entry that I mentioned that my SD memory card went kaput? Yesterday, Iwent back to the camera shop to inquire for a new one, and then I realised that since my old memory card has a lifetime warranty, and I just asked whether the warranty is still valid. Immediately the sales person took NO interest, and gave a "big hoo-haa" story about the difficulties of changing for a new one. I was completely turn off by his attitude, and I didn't even buy the new memory card from him. So my initial intention of getting one memory card has turned into a bitter end. Not for me, but for him. Why should I pay for poor services. It doesn't KILL to be courteous, you know?

In my own personal experience, especially in the servicing line; being kind and polite doesn't take much effort. In business, it gives a certain comfort to clients. In return, you feel happy and satisfied when the business deal is sealed. Just loose the ego, cause being a pain-in-the-*** doesn't get you anywhere.

So I shall not say much, and just give a thumbs up to you. Do you part as a good Malaysian citizen. All the more reason to change your attitude, especially during our Visit Malaysia Year'07. Do potray that what we always say. Malaysia Boleh!

No comments: