Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Fitness Fair & Disco Sparkle Dance

At last the gym management has finally decided to do a proper “launch” for the members. Technically it wasn’t a massive affair for the Les Mills® programs; but generally it was launched as a “Fitness Fair”. Les Mills® new releases (Body Pump®, Body Combat® & RPM®) were launch simultaneously in all the clubs on the same day. Except for the Subang Parade branch; Body Pump® and Body Combat® will be launched the following day.

I decided to change my gym plans by going to 1 Utama for the special Disco Sparkle Dance Class by Tomas; since I decided to go for the delayed launch the following day at Subang Parade.

I arrived very early. In fact, 2 hours too early. I was contemplating whether I should join the Body Pump® class, but backed out the last minute as I didn’t wanted to tired myself before the dance class. I was warned by Tomas that he was going to do a lot of boogie 70’s dance moves, so I didn’t take my chances.

As I entered the gym, I was greeted by the “new” interior deco of the gym. It was decorated with plants, hula hoops and everyone were in Hawaiian costumes (well, almost). I thought I entered a jungle!

Before I could enter the lockers, there was a fashion show by Adidas; so I decided to stay on to have a look. I was with Evelyn and we started to joke about the show. The fashion show started quite abruptly as everyone gathered around; waiting for the models to parade in their Adidas wear. The music started but still no models. Since everyone was in gym attires, we didn’t realize that the models were already parading among the crowds! I found it hilarious over the scenario. Everyone seemed confused and was asking around if the “models” are “models” or gym members passing by.

Nevertheless, I manage to capture a few shots of the fashion show. I particularly like the white jacket with the black and red stripes. I’m sure it will cost a bomb.

After the show, I went to change and did some weights. I just did a few reps on chest and triceps workouts. Because of time constraint, I did an extra set each and added a little more weights. Then off I went to prepare myself for the special dance class.

Since the theme is “Disco, Sparkle, Glitter”, I had trouble looking for an outfit. The only “sparkling, glittering” outfit I had is a top with glitters almost completely washed off. Then I paired it with my white combat pants with golden stripes at the side. Luckily Tomas, “lend” me some glitter powder to finish off. When I met with the rest of the gang at the studio entrance, I was in a shock. Almost everyone made an effort to dress up. Sparkling glitters were everywhere, sequins blinging around and large pearl necklaces in all sorts of colour.


Everyone was excited and couldn’t wait for class to start. We started to joke around, taking pictures and doing strange things with a purple feather boa and singing “Like a Virgin”. Well, I was the culprit who started it. But I did it in weird Thai accent version; inspired by a scene from “Bridget Jones: Edge of Reason” movie. Watch it and you know which funny scene I am talking about.

Class started on time as everyone entered the studio punctually. As Tomas was preparing for class, the rest of us were already in the mood. We even started dancing, continue taking pictures and danced to “YMCA” when it was played during pre-class. Even Tomas was caught by surprise by our actions. It was fun to see when everyone, so in union, doing the YMCA dance.


The choreography for the dance wasn’t hard to follow. It was easy for the beginners but still challenging for the advanced ones. Since it was 70’s disco music, it wasn’t hard to follow; especially there were loads of inspired Saturday Night Fever dance moves. When we got the choreo all put together, all of us were put through “showtime”. We danced to “Music Inferno” by Madonna. It’s actually a 70’s remix of Madonna’s Music. It’s a version Madonna did for her Confessions Tour just recently.

I had the honour of actually having the Confessions Tour DVD, so I was mentally prepared on how the dance would be like. Everyone had a ball, and we were screaming for more. It was so incredibly fun that I forgotten to take a break! And by the end of class, I was exhausted.

My legs don’t even feel this sore after 4 hours of clubbing. I sure do hope I can do Body Combat® tonight.

In conclusion, it was a great and fantastic class. And what better way, than having my Idol Madonna’s song for the theme dance class. Well done Tomas!

No comments: