Thursday, January 18, 2007

When you have your own crib...

It's always a joyous moment when you finally own your crib; all to yourself. You could imagine my excitement when I got the keys to my new condo late last year. I was head over heals; and I was already been making plans on renovations and etc. Actually, been planning for the past 3 years with my mom! But the odd part is, whatever we had planned initially, did not come to fulfillment. There is always bound to last minute changes.

Example 1:
I opted to have a "zen" like inspired deco with minimal furniture; to create a sense spaciousness. Mom had the same idea, but last minute decided to bring back/ bought some furniture from Ipoh. At the end, I trashed "unwanted" things in the store room and went ahead with my original minimalistic approach. And to deter mom, from bringing in more stuff, I placed big artworks, photos & paintings all around the floor; instead of hanging them.

The winner : ME~!

Example 2:
I wanted indoor cooking with the hood. Mom wanted a wet kitchen with cooking outside. We constantly argued about this matter for days.
Verdict: Ended up with wet kitchen.

The winner : Mom - OK, I have to salute on her decision. Lately my cooking has been extremely heavy and if I had indoor cooking, the whole house is bound to smell like a chinese restaurant. So when it comes to cooking, listen to your mother's advice.

Example 3:
Originally the dry kitchen cabinet was supossedly L-shaped; inclusive of sink relocation. The price of just doing that, racked the renovation price up tremendously! Decided that everything should maintain with straight forward design (and to save money of hacking the wall just for the sink relocation)

The winner : All parties + contractor. I absolutely love how the kitchen renovation turned out and my contractor didn't have to go through a massive headahe of relocating the sink. I didn't even have to think of kitchen design. I just had the same design as the showroom. Not to say that I was lazy to create something of my own, but the one at the showroom was very ideal to my taste anyway.


So far, I have pretty much covered my living room and kitchen. The only thing left now are the rooms. Well, that will probably be next few years plans.

The very first time me + mom went to see our new condo. You could see the big smile on my face~! Because I realised that from the balcony, I had a KL skyline view, with a view of KLCC + KL Tower.

This was taken just right after the renovation and shifting in of mostly my things. In the midst of all this, complaining it was too "zen"; too empty.

Then a month later, the living hall is done, and its starting to pack up with more things. Changed the curtains too. As in today, the coffee table is filled with newspapers and magazines, the floor is filled with CDs & installed my old Atari and Microgenius console as well. A little messy now, but beginning to look very much like a real bachelor pad.

Not too mention that dust and creepy crawlies are creeping in as well. Its really frightening cleaning the house almost everyday. Its always not "clean" enough. Gosh, I have developed an OCD (obssesive compulsive disorder) problem. Scary......

No comments: