Thursday, November 24, 2005

Where do people learn how to drive?

I almost had the biggest heart attack this morning when a motorist was swerving madly from left to right along the MRR2. The worst thing happened when "it" swerved almost too quickly towards my car, forcing me to step on the emergency brakes. My tires screeched and everything on my car seat swung forward. My heart almost stopped pounding. Thank God there wasn't any cars behind me.

I often wonder how our dear Malaysian citizens pass their driving exams; regardless of what vehicle they would be driving. We often hear the terms of "under-table-money" or "duit kopi" in the "learn-how-to-drive" industry. This action ensures you a "guaranteed" pass in the exams. I wonder whether this "culture" is still in practice.

I remembered when I first took both my car and motorcycle license exams; I was "offered" a somewhat (external) offer- which ensures me to pass the exam. Of course, being a GOOD PERSON that I am, I didn't believe in buying my way through. So did my mother. She actually called the center to give them her 2-cents worth of "advise".

Anyway,I said no to the offer, much to the dismay of the driving school. As expected I was given a cold-treatment throughout my exam week. To me, it was incredibly funny how this people acted in front of me. Not only that they didn't get my "extra" money, they would still need to act out a big "hoo-haa" show to show their dissatisfaction. What a waste of time and energy!

Needless to say I passed my car exam but failed the bike one; forcing me to retake it again. But I was okay with it, just as long as I passed my exams legally.

After so many years and with the proper training in driving, I still find it hard to cope with the driving culture in KL. Urbanites drives like there is no tomorrow and motorcyclist ride their bikes like Superman. I had three (major) accidents in the past years, and honestly its incredibly scary. All the police reports, the repairs, time and money are ABSOLUTELY NO FUN.

We should be more responsible and responsive towards our attitude of driving. Why can't we be like the gwai-los, with more sensible road manners?

Does having a bigger, better car with ABS, airbags, and whatever safety features, allows you to forget everything that you have paid so much to learn? Does turning your Wira into a cheap looking "spaceship" gives you better confidence in driving/speeding? If you answered yes to the above question(s); then CONGRATULATIONS! You are indeed on a fast track to your own dimise.

Next time when you start driving recklessly on the road, please remember to only KILL yourself, cause me and the rest of the other people have a life to live on. No puns intended.

No comments: